Sunday, March 2, 2014

Teaching Kids About Idioms

In recent years the number of ESOL students in my county has increased dramatically.  We now have an ESOL support teacher in every school.  The same is true in my own classroom.  Each year the number of students who do not speak English as their primary language at home grows.  Although many of these students sound like they have a good grasp on the English language when having a casual conversation, much of the language we use is in the form of idioms. They are far from mastering these phrases!  I had a father of one of my students, who is a US citizen and in our military, ask me for help in this area.  He knew he could not help his son in this area.  I gave him an Idiom Dictionary to borrow for a while.  For my students, I created Idiom Pirate Treasure Hunt.  
 
At first I show them to the whole class on the Smart board.  Then I use them as task cards around the room.  After that, I use them in my small reading groups and as center games.   Here is the response form I give my students. Grab your copy for free, here.
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Idiom-Response-Activity-269507
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Idiom-Response-Activity-269507
If you are interested in using the cards I use in my classroom,
here is a look at what is included in Idiom Treasure Hunt.
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Idioms-Pirate-Treasure-Hunt-208136
I have printed them in color for my task cards around the room, but I actually shrank them and printed them in black and white to make multiple game sets more economical (less color ink).  If you have any questions, please feel free to ask in the comment section below.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. 
Have a great week teaching and remember to take time to enjoy your students! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips