Sunday, July 14, 2013

DIY: Making Chevron Subject Frames to display my Standards and EQs

 
 

Chevron seems to be the BIG RAGE this year!!!  Although I saw it last year a bit, it has really taken off and now, I see it everywhere.  Here are just a few photos I took at Wal-Mart this weekend in the School Supply section, of all the things Chevron.

Great throw-pillows for a comfy reading area
 
Composition  notebooks already cut in half for those of us wanting a smaller version. 
 
Adorable tin buckets that indicate they can be written on with a dry erase marker.  There are so many uses for these.  I use them to put in names of students "caught doing good"  each day, for a drawing at the end of the week.  I also use these tins to hold popsicle sticks with student numbers written on them, for me to use to call on students. They are just the right size to hold crayons, markers, sticky notes, highlighters, glue sticks, center manipulatives, and more.
 
I love this index card holder.  Great for student vocabulary or flash cards.  A good choice for holding note cards for anecdotal records, especially for a teacher who travels from class to class.  I can see using one of these per class.
 
 
These are soft, fuzzy pencil pouches with a zipper pull.  Aren't they adorable?!  My daughter would love having one!!!  However, she likes to do her "own" school supply shopping, so when I take her, I'm betting she'll ask for this.  :-)
  
I found bulletin board boarders from Creative Teaching Press that sell for only $3.99 on page 40 of their magazine that just came out this month.  I plan to pick up a couple of these packs.  One package contains 35 feet of boarder.  Not only do I use them on my bulletin boards, but I like to use them around my dry erase board too.  It really brightens up and frames that large, white space.
 
To continue this theme in my classroom, I have made Chevron Subject Frames for use in posting my standards and essential questions for each subject. 
 
 
 
 
I found this original idea on Pinterest, where colored paper was put inside a frame and hung for standards to be written on the glass.  I felt there needed to be a white section directly behind the standard, and that the colored pattern would not distract from the text and make the standard difficult to read. 
 
 
 
 
 I just finished making these Chevron Subject Frames for this purpose.
I left one left blank in case you have a specific subject that I haven't included.
 
Click on the image to get your copy.
 
 
 
I will continue to blog as I prepare for an exciting new school year
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Cute ideas! I love the chevron subject frames! I'm actually having a chevron themed link party today over on my blog. I'm doing a week-long chevron themed party, and today is the link party. I'd love it if you'd share this idea on my party today!

    http://sarahlynnssweets.blogspot.com/2013/08/sweet-tooth-tuesdays-13.html

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips